Sunday, August 19, 2007

Time for More Structure

Last year was a tough one for our family, and so our homeschooling was pretty basic - English, math, science, history, French (for the older ones). I didn't have time or energy to focus on weaknesses such as spelling or handwriting, or to add "electives"; which maybe just as well because I'm not sure my kids had the energy to focus on them. I didn't provide a lot of structure, either; I gave the kids their assignments on Monday and hoped they were done by Friday. It mostly worked, we kept school going, and we learned plenty of life skills.

This year, things look a lot better for all of us, and I am looking forward to filling in some gaps and adding some structure. That's the beauty of homeschooling: if things slip one year, either because you didn't provide them or because the kids didn't learn them, you can always catch up the next, rather than expecting kids to move forward without the skills they missed. It does make this year's list of things to cover a little intimidating, but I can double up a lot of it - keyboarding and spelling, writing and grammar. The only tricky part will be getting my high schooler used to a set routine again; he liked last year's "flexible" schedule (but had a hard time keeping up with his assignments). Actually, the really tricky part will be keeping my attention focused on the schedule, so that we really get things done, rather than letting it wander off to something shinier and more interesting.

1 comment:

Valli said...

It took me a minute to figure out just who the "high schooler" was....how time flies. I never thought I would be the person proclaiming the old cliche of, "they grow up so fast!"
I hope your school year gets off to a great start.