Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Taco Soup

After a warm day, the rain this afternoon was welcome. Our lawn desperately needed the moisture: it hasn't been watered since our well was shut down two hot, sunny weeks ago. And, since I was faced with a refrigerator full of left-overs, I welcomed the cool, rainy weather and the hot soup that suddenly felt right after three months of cold ones.

To make the soup, I defrosted a spaghetti-jar of pork and onion broth in the microwave and poured it into a dutch oven, along with half a jar of water and a bottle of Corona. I added about 2 cups of ground beef spiced for tacos (the amount I had in the fridge), 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, 1 can of corn, and some salsa verde. (I know, why am I using canned tomatoes when I have 15 pounds of fresh tomatoes in the fridge? Because it is simpler, and tonight that mattered.) After the broth came to a boil, I turned the heat down, added salt and cumin, and simmered it for a few minutes. It doesn't take long before the soup is ready to serve; in this case, with some rice and beans left-over from a Mexican restaurant. My kids call it taco soup, and eat it cheerfully. I'm just happy to see soup season return - it makes left-overs much easier to cope with creatively. Next is to buy spaghetti makings, for the first cold day this fall.

No comments: