Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Well Clean-up

One of the pieces that needed to be cleaned up after we got water again was talking to Jan Mack at the DNRC and getting our water right brought up to date. I was a little nervous about it, since I had told him we were deepening the well but we moved it instead; all this wouldn't be a big deal, but we are in a controlled groundwater area because the subdivision development has been depleting the aquifer our well taps into, so permits for change of well location is trickier than usual. Much to my relief, Jan accepted my reasoning for why we had moved the well instead of deepening it, and spent over half an hour stepping me through the permit application that will retroactively allow what we did; he even copied maps and aerial photos for me to use with the application. I am now ready to apply to do something that has been done - but I know what I need to do, and I have a resource to call if I lose the right words for the responses. It is one of the best experiences with government that I have ever had, and one of the first things to go right in this whole rodeo.

No comments: