Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Eve Fondue

When I was growing up, we always had fondue with some friends the week before Christmas, and I loved the tradition. But our week before Christmas includes a birthday and a solstice celebration, so adding a fondue would be way too much. Luckily, my husband's family had always had fondue on New Year's Eve, when there is plenty of time for a drawn-out dinner. We follow that tradition, which is close enough to make me happy.

So tonight, we will have a beef fondue, with cubes of top round dipped in hot oil, then into any of a variety of dips (hollandaise, horseradish sauce, salt and pepper, sweet and sour, soy/lime juice, plus anything that happens to still be in the fridge from the holidays); my husband's favorite addition is a thick-sliced pickled ginger that I make once in a while. Over the years, we have added a bunch of vegetables to accompany to meat; this year, it will be portobella mushrooms, daikon, sunchokes, celeriac, cherry tomatoes, and maybe garlic cloves. I love leeks, but couldn't find any good ones this year; I have also used potatoes and sweet potatoes with success. Actually, any vegetable that looks good at the store seems to work, some cooked and some eaten raw. I'll serve some good bread with it and call it good.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

The Magpie said...

The garlic was a keeper, very good on bread or meat. The kids tried cooking pieces of bread (pain levain)and liked it; I thought it was a waste of time. The surprise hit was some cheese curds my daughter pulled out of the refrigerator - they were really good on the bread (just don't try to cook them very long or they dissolve). Since fried cheese curds are popular in Portland, I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised.