Monday, January 14, 2008

This I Believe

After a discussion with my Mormon brother about what he believes, I brashly sent out an email to my family, asking a few "simple" questions: What are your beliefs about God/Higher Being/the Universe/ Prime Mover? Does one (or more) exist? If so, what is it like? How does it affect you day to day? (No proselytizing or quizzing allowed.) I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in a group discussion, but so far, everyone has responded thoughtfully and eagerly; we don't normally talk about these questions, so it has been new ground for all of us. The interesting things have been learning about Mormon theology and seeing that the rest of us, so far, have very similar views on spiritual matters, although we tend to phrase them differently. It has been a great exercise and given us all a chance to better understand the people we care about most.

No comments: