Saturday, February 16, 2008

Better than Going Out

I haven't been cooking a lot lately, between crazy schedules and lack of inspiration, but I have wanted to make a scallops-and-beef dinner for about a month now; I usually make one every winter for my husband and me, but this winter, there hasn't been a good night for it. Tonight, the boys were all elsewhere and we were down to a daughter at home for dinner, making the expense of the ingredients seem manageable; so I dove into a fancy dinner with enthusiasm. I started at the Co-op for scallops, then wandered into the produce section for other ideas - which I definitely found. I picked up a pound of tenderloin at the Meat Shop. In the end, dinner was three courses, all different, all very good, and it only took about an hour to put together.

Appetizer:
  • Seared scallops and tomatoes on watercress, with a vinaigrette of preserved lemons and dill
  • Pinot Grigio

Dinner:

  • Belgian endives wrapped in prosciutto and broiled
  • Yukon gold potatoes, sliced into wedges and roasted with herbs de Provence
  • Tenderloin with crimini mushrooms in red wine sauce
  • Cabernet

Dessert:

  • Humbolt Fog cheese (a goat cheese with a creamy outer layer and a "blue" streak through it)
  • Blood orange segments soaked in ginger syrup

No comments: