Monday, February 25, 2008

Quiet Day

Quiet. What a concept. I have forgotten what it sounds like since I had children. I remember that they all used to take naps in the afternoon, and the quiet hour or so was heavenly. Then they all went to bed around 9:00 and I was able to get some quiet time in before I went to sleep. Now none of them take naps, and they all seem to want to talk to me at 10:00 at night (or 11:00 for my oldest), which means that I tend to stay up way too late trying for quiet time. They are mostly home during the day and I need to help them with their school, so that doesn't work out as quiet. The good news, the light at the end of the tunnel, is that they are doing more on their own outside the house as they get older, and once in a while they are all gone at once. Those times I cherish. I wrap the quiet house around me like an old quilt and settle in. The only problem, of course, is trying to decide how best to use the time: reading? working? napping? putzing around the house and getting little things done?

I know that as the kids get older, I will end up with more quiet time than I really want, and I will look back on the chaos now fondly. Too bad there isn't some way to find a balance, just enough quiet, just enough chaos. (Oh, yeah, that is why people send their kids to school...) For the moment, I guess I will just have to celebrate Quiet Day when it turns up on the calendar.

No comments: