Friday, March 14, 2008

Buddy Greco Chicken

When my daughter and I were in California, we had dinner (and a great music show) at Buddy Greco's dinner club. The problem was that the menu had three things on it that all sounded great: shrimp scampi, steak Diane (which I hadn't had in two decades), and "chicken stuffed spinach and feta". I was pretty sure that I could make shrimp scampi and the chicken sounded manageable; that left just the steak to try.

The chicken idea stayed in my head, so I tried making something based on that short description tonight, using just chicken, spinach, feta, and pancetta. I served it with buttered pasta and a green salad, and the only thing the kids complained about was the challenge of cutting bites off the roll - but they kept eating eagerly. So now Buddy Greco chicken (which probably is nothing like the one Greco's chef made) will be a regular player at our table.

Buddy Greco chicken
Per person:
1 boneless skinless chicken breast
Handful of washed spinach, preferably baby leaves
1 oz feta cheese, salty (fresh if possible, not one the gourmet types)
1 piece pancetta (or prosciutto, or even thin slices of bacon, I suspect; if you use bacon, sprinkle a little pepper on the chicken first)

Pound chicken breasts until they are about 1/2 inch thick. Place a layer of spinach on the chicken, then crumble feta across the middle (the short way); the feta provides the salt the chicken needs. Roll the chicken tightly from one short end and place in a baking dish. Place pancetta on top of the roll. Bake for about an hour at 350 degrees, then let sit for five minutes.

No comments: