Thursday, March 27, 2008

Flexibility of Homeschooling

One of the nice things about homeschooling is its flexibility when Life happens. When one of my kids is sick, I don't have to make an all-or-nothing decision about whether to send them to school, I can just tell them to do what they can; and I find that their brains can work very well when they have a cough that keeps them out of public. When a major crisis hits - new baby, major illness, divorce - we can take a week off and pick it up at the end of the year. I appreciate that my kids don't have to go to school and pretend that nothing is wrong; they are too distracted to learn anyway, and this way they don't miss any school or have to make it up immediately. They can focus on the life skills that the crisis is prepared to teach them, then return to school when things settle down and they are ready for book-learning again.

No comments: