Saturday, March 29, 2008

Fried Pig Skins

For years, I couldn't figure out what use fried pig skins are, how they fit into any food category. But now I know what they are good for: scooping guacamole. They are sturdy enough to carry a mouthful without breaking, and the vaguely meaty undertone adds some depth to the smooth avocado. They work so well that when my kids see fried pig skins, they know guacamole isn't far behind.

Quick Guacamole
Cut open two avocadoes and mash the meat. Stir in 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice and a teaspoon of salt (more or less, depending on how much flavor is in the avocadoes). Dice finely a quarter of an onion and two roma tomatoes or one regular tomato and stir into the avocado mash. (You can add salsa here for spice, but I don't like what it does to the color of the guacamole. Salsa verde would work well, or minced jalapenos.) Taste for seasoning and serve with fried pig skins.

I know this sounds weird, but it works.

No comments: