Saturday, April 12, 2008

Broiler Pans

I don't understand the point of using a broiler pan if you are just going to cover it with tinfoil. Isn't the whole point of a broiler pan, the reason you use it instead of a cookie sheet or roasting pan, the slits that allow the juices to drain off instead of pooling around the food? So it you are going to cover the slits, you might as well use a different pan. (I will admit that when I am faced with washing the pan myself, I cover it with tinfoil - then cut slits in it so that the juices will drip. It keeps the juices from pooling, then baking on, and is a functional compromise.)

My favorite use of the (unfoiled) broiler pan is lemon-pepper chicken; it is quick, simple, tasty, and the left-overs make great lunch meat. To make it, get boneless skinless chicken breasts (or create them yourself, I suppose). Trim as needed and pound them flat, about 1/2 an inch thick. Place on a broiler pan and sprinkle generously with lemon pepper (in the spices section of the grocery store). Place under hot broiler and cook until done. Serve with rice and salad. Left-overs are great in a sandwich with jack or havarti or muenster cheese.

Around here, boneless skinless chicken breasts come from California. Which makes sense, since only Californians could grow a boneless skinless chicken.

No comments: