Saturday, June 28, 2008

Summer Rhythms

Ski season is marked by driving kids to the ski bus every weekend morning; summer is marked by the farmers' markets. I like to go to the smaller Tuesday evening market at Bogert Park, especially when the municipal band is playing afterwards, but my favorite weekly rhythm is the big Saturday market at the county fairgrounds. When I have time to go unhurried, strolling through the stands in the pavilion is a lovely, calm way to start the weekend. I see old friends and new ones, visit with the woman who sells awesome scones that my kids insist I get, listen the the young musicians and watch an enterprising tap dancer, buy 4"fruit pies for packed lunches (my kids' favorite) and some locally-made hummus, pick up whatever is fresh in vegetables, taste Almatheia's latest flavors of goat cheese, and generally enjoy not being in a hurry. Vegetables are still a little scarce this early in the summer, but I was able to get green garlic (like green onions), lettuce, carrots, and radishes. My favorite find is garlic scapes, which have a very short growing season but freeze beautifully; I bought five bags that I now get to figure out how to use. No matter how much I have to do today, this is a great way to start the day.

No comments: