Sunday, July 6, 2008

Candied Rhubarb

When I defrosted my freezer today, I discovered that I had three 2-pint containers of chopped rhubarb left from last summer. (This is why I defrost it annually, to find out what I need to use up.) Since I am getting fresh rhubarb from my garden, I needed a way to use the old; once it has been frozen, it doesn't work so well for baking, so instead, I made candied rhubarb. First I steeped the rhubarb in simple syrup, then dehydrated it - for well over 24 hours. The flavor is unusual, but my kids find it strangely addictive as a snack.

Candied Rhubarb
For each 2-pint container of chopped rhubarb, put 1 C water and 1 C sugar in a big pot. Bring to a boil and simmer 3-5 minutes until all the sugar has dissolved and the water is clear. Add rhubarb and simmer for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and let it sit for an hour or two. Drain rhubarb (save the syrup) and spread out on dehydrator racks. Dry until chewy, 24 hours or more for my dehydrator. Store in a closed container.

To use the syrup, place a couple tablespoons of it in a clear glass, then add club soda, and ice as desired. It makes a pretty, refreshing drink.

No comments: