Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Short Growing Season

Talking to growers at the farmers' market tonight, the last one of the season, I confirmed that the growing season is late this summer, by an average of 20 days. Now that the two farmers' markets in town are finishing up, the growers are finally harvesting their summer vegetables - which is why I am having a hard time finding vegetables to preserve as I move into my fall putting-food-up-for-the-winter mode; those vegetables won't be along for another three weeks. To make matters worse, we are definitely into fall weather, with cool, cloudy days mixed in with warm, sunny days; the growing season is going to end up being a very short one this year. It is one of the less-cheerful aspects of trying to eat in tune with the seasons: the weather doesn't always co-operate. But even the shortage of "seasonal" vegetables reminds me of the unpredictable nature of the real world.

No comments: