Friday, November 7, 2008

Taking My Own Advice

Over the last year or so, I have encouraged many frustrated homeschool parents to try less structure in their school assignments, to let their kids learn what they are interested in. After dealing with growing frustration over my kids' school, I finally decided to take my own advice and let go of my carefully plotted assignment schedule. So I printed out new assignment sheets, with only a few required items and lots of room for creativity on their parts, and presented them to my kids.

My daughter loved it immediately and spent several hours in the car talking to me about ways she could meet the flexible assignments. She is very excited to be able to spend more time studying the subjects she is most interested in, at her own pace. On the other hand, my two boys promptly rejected the new system. Neither of them gets excited about school, and they don't want to have to think about school enough to use the new system. They would rather go down my checklists and do what I tell them to, then be done to work on other things. I'm batting .333 - so much for my helpful advice!